Mechanical Engineer (Derby)
£35,000 - £55,000 per annum (various positions for candidates with different levels of experience)
Ford and Stanley - the Rail Recruitment Specialists are working with a leading rail engineering business to recruit a Mechanical Engineer to technically define, develop and lead the mechanical design and integration for engineering projects and tenders.
The role of Mechanical Engineer is to technically define, develop and lead the mechanical design and integration for rail engineering projects and tenders. With whole design lifecycle responsibility, from ensuring a complete and correct set of requirements are established to developing valid mechanical architectures and concepts that are fully integrated in order to deliver a class leading, competitive and compliant design
Role and Responsibilities
- Responsibility for developing the whole train mechanical design, directing and guiding the project’s design team to ensure key technical design decisions are made in a structured and timely manner and that all technical risks are identified and mitigated.
- Ensuring the mechanical design is fully integrated and verified through the design lifecycle against a complete and correct set of technical requirements, using best practice system engineering processes and tools (e.g. Design Reviews, Trade Analyses, Interface management, Requirements Management)
- Leading the review of customer technical specifications and legislation in order to establishing the key train level operational, functional and mechanical performance requirements and the subsequently development of the principle design architectures and concepts to meet these requirements. Ensuring key decisions regarding architecture, concepts and system technologies solutions are made in a timely manner to ensure bid and project timescales can be achieved.
- The principal mechanical technical interface for the project’s stakeholders; Lead Vehicle Engineer, Customer, Key suppliers, engineering functional heads and divisional leadership team, preparing and reporting technically on the project’s progress, issues and risks.
- Planning and estimating timescales and costs associated with delivery of the scope of work associated with the role. Directly managing the scope of work during bids and projects.
Suitable candidates will be educated to Degree level and Chartered, or working towards. From a technical point of view you should have experience working within heavy engineering and ideally within vehicles (cars, planes, trains etc.).
- £35,000 - £45,000