Managing the integration process on behalf of Sandvik
Following the decision to acquire two previously competing brands within a new market, Sandvik engaged Ford & Stanley to manage the entire integration process, whilst driving business growth through attracting the right talent into the company.
- Absorbing two major brands into the Sandvik Construction & Machinery organisation
- Improving communication both internally and externally
- Attracting new talent into the business
- Maintaining high standards in performance and quality
- Poor brand reputation within the local business area
Ford & Stanley adopted a partnership approach to ensure successful integration of two previously competing brands into Sandvik Construction & Machinery. Throughout the project our consultants were based on site to help forge key relationships, increase levels of responsiveness and assist the company in effectively managing the overall process. A clear project vision was established with measures for success agreed and meetings scheduled upon milestone dates to maintain consistent communication with the client.
Enhancing the employer brand
Ford & Stanley were engaged to develop an Employee Value Proposition (EVP) in response to the construction brand’s poor reputation within the local business area. All UK staff were given the opportunity to voice their opinions about the company, with positive messages received regarding the business culture, benefits and career opportunities.
Once all feedback was collated the EVP was published externally in both written and audio visual format and used by Ford & Stanley’s consultants to effectively promote Sandvik Construction to potential candidates. As a result, the number of external candidates who expressed an interest in opportunities within the organisation increased by over 300%.
Implementing a first class recruitment process
Following a review of the existing process across all three brands, Ford & Stanley’s master vendor software and online portal RecruitPeople™ was implemented to manage the recruitment process and unite HR, Line Manager and supply chain in one easy to use system. This replaced Sandvik’s existing HR software, enabling online job ordering, enhanced visibility of recruitment activities and management information reporting at all levels.
New role profiles were developed which were standardised to ensure consistency and alignment with the Sandvik Construction & Machinery brand.
Ford & Stanley’s team of consultants were responsible for managing the entire interview process, from scheduling and conducting interviews to making recommendations on who to appoint. Psychometric assessments were also applied during the selection process.
In addition to the standard recruitment practices, Ford & Stanley were able to make strategic recommendations in accordance with the forecast business needs. Our consultants were able to identify gaps within existing processes and advise suitable courses of action.
Ford & Stanley conducted a scoping exercise in order to provide an insight into the local recruitment and wider engineering markets.
Our team of industry experts carried out market analysis and research based on a list of roles spanning all hierarchical levels provided by Sandvik. All research was undertaken in a confidential manner via telephone, using database resources and candidates identified from their existing skills, qualifications and experience.
Ford & Stanley provided both a qualitative and quantitative response to all questions surveyed and a detailed report which highlighted our conclusions and recommendations.
Training and development
In Sandvik’s efforts to upskill the workforce, Ford & Stanley were engaged to deliver on site competency based interview training.
This training provided Recruiting Managers with the relevant skills and knowledge to conduct structured interviews, script and deliver appropriate questioning and understand how to best present themselves in an interview environment. Recruiting Managers were also assessed based on their decision making skills and the ability to present candidate recommendations.
- 100% of vacancies were filled by the Ford & Stanley master vendor supply chain across all disciplines
- Received 100% stakeholder buy in from Director and Senior level management across all disciplines within the construction organisation
- Conducted an extensive customer feedback programme, gathering critical input on customer perceptions and improvement opportunities across the business
- Managed a cross-functional business improvement project to resolve issues impacting upon customer experience
- Designed, developed and implemented bespoke IT-based communications systems to remove ‘silos’
- Managed a full-site customer focused training programme to initiate culture change
- Transforming the employer brand and labour market sector perception, resulting in Sandvik Construction & Machinery being perceived as ‘employer of choice’ in both regions
- Successfully managed a major recruitment programme of Senior Managers and key technical and commercial skills for sites across the UK