Commercial Accountant (City of London)
City of London
£350 - £400 per day
Ford and Stanley – The Rail Recruitment Experts are recruiting on behalf of a well-established British Standards Board who are seeking an interim Commercial Accountant.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly commercial accountant looking to make their mark within a business dedicated to the safety of the rail network. The role will provide the necessary financial support to both the Finance team and the new Business Development team to ensure the company delivers in the area of Business Growth, whilst maintaining high levels of financial control and governance at all times.
Interim cover until a permanent equivalent is identified
The ideal candidate will be a fully qualified (ACA/ACCA/CIMA) commercial accountant with significant experience of previous commercial roles and a good understanding of how to drive a commercial model with experience working as a finance business partner. You will also have extensive experience working in cross functional project environments.
Role & responsibilities
- Perform a true business partnering role by providing the necessary financial information, insight and analysis to the Business Development team and other key internal stakeholders
- Make any necessary changes to internal systems to ensure Finance meet the commercial demands from internal and external customers, including the work around introducing e-commerce, sleeker processing of sales and on-boarding of new customers, new BI reporting functionality and Business Central development
- Lead the work in continuous improvement of commercial business case design/development as well as the necessary improvements to the investment committee and project review processes – specifically around Rate of Return metrics to evaluate business cases in a consistent manner.
- Lead the work on continuous improvement and reform of the accounting structure to help deliver the new commercial strategy in CP6. Develop a consistent approach to recognising and recording external income, together with an efficient system of back-charging for work performed
- Lead the work to continuously improve the financial controls and financial governance around new commercial work, including any necessary reforms to business case development, analysis and sign off. Support the Head of Financial Governance and Corporate Controls in their work to assure the Audit & Risk Committee in these areas
- Work jointly with the Projects Directorate and Business Development Directorate to build and execute cross-company improvement programmes and any necessary change management work to embed essential reforms and change corporate culture
- Working alongside the Risk & Assurance Lead to ensure that all commercial & business development risk is successfully embedded within the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) system and there is adequate first line of defence to mitigate risk
- Support the Head of Financial Governance and Corporate Controls in preparing the Finance Directorate, the Procurement department and the Business Development Directorate for the annual internal audit and other specific corporate risk examinations. Responsible for addressing and following up on recommendations and concerns that arise in these areas.
- Work alongside the Business Partnering team to help prepare strategic plans, budgets, forecasts and project plans and support day to day activity where necessary.
- Supporting the work alongside the Chief Financial Officer, Head of Finance, Head of Procurement and Business Development & Engagement Director to ensure there is enough linkage between the Finance, Commercial and Procurement strategies.
- Ensure there is consistency between the funding envelope and the annual income budgets.
- Play a role in ensuring that the demands of commercial finance are at the heart of the future Digital Strategy. Support the Head of Financial Governance & Corporate controls through horizon scanning of future finance technologies and bench marking against other organisations.
- Fully qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA)
- Significant experience in commercial roles
- Understanding of how to drive a commercial model with experience working as a finance business partner to the commercial team in a medium to large profit driven company
- Experience implementing/reforming an ecommerce platform with a detailed understanding of the practical challenges involved
- Awareness of key macroeconomic issues
- Worked in a cross functional project environment
- User of finance systems, Microsoft NAV is preferable
- City of London