Engineering Manager (Manchester)
£50,000 per annum plus travel benefits
Are you an engineer looking for a step up into a managerial level position, looking after one of the busiest transport depots in the North?
Ford & Stanley – The Rail Recruitment Experts are recruiting an Engineering Manager for one of the UK’s largest multi-national transport groups within bus transportation services.
As a champion of success, this opportunity calls for an enthusiastic, results-driven engineer to be responsible for the engineering performance of the Manchester depot. With a key focus on customer satisfaction, you will be leading and drive a customer-centric culture by encouraging and supporting the engineering team to deliver an excellent service whilst adhering to safety compliance.
As a leader you will be expected to manage a diverse team and implement a continuous improvement environment as it is imperative for the depot to maintain their impeccable level of services and policies.
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead the depot engineering team to consistently deliver a safe and reliable service to customers.
- Ensure effective processes and robust plans are in place to maintain and safeguard company assets, including the fleet, plant and equipment, property and stock.
- Manage staff, other engineering and property related costs within budget.
- Maintain accurate records for all aspects of safety, environmental and engineering standards.
- Leverage technology, processes and business systems to improve engineering performance.
- Proactively manage trade union relationships, including supporting the negotiation of any changes to terms and conditions.
- Ensure contract adherence for engineering and property related third party contracts.
- Work with operational colleagues to ensure good relationships are maintained between the Operations and Engineering teams.
- Ensure that controls are in place to manage and mitigate risk, providing assurance of compliance to the Operating Company Directors.
- Other duties commensurate with the role as may be deemed appropriate by the line manager.
The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of engineering practises, you would ideally have come from a transportation background and previously held a leadership role. As you will be responsible for direct reports, your management style will need to ensure you can accommodate an open-door policy as well as ensuring the smooth running of a depot. A good degree of technical and commercial understand is important as part of the seniority of your role will see you managing budgets as well as being a technical focal point.
- Strong customer service skills.
- A team player fully committed to working with colleagues to achieve the goals of the organisation.
- Good intellect, able to analyse data and understand financial information.
- A confident communicator with strong interpersonal, influencing and coaching skills; able to effectively engage with and influence teams, and able to share information in a straight forward and compelling way.
- Results-driven, with a “can-do” attitude and ability to get into the detail when necessary.
- Can carry out effective root cause analysis, applying lessons learned to improve processes and influence positive changes in behaviours.
3rd September 2018
Likely Job Titles
Senior Project Engineer, Depot Manager, Fleet Engineer, Asset Engineer
- £45,000 +