Operations Manager (Leeds)
£45,000 per annum
Ford & Stanley – The Rail Recruitment Experts are pleased to be supporting a reputable train operator based in one of the busiest depots in the Northern region of the UK for an experienced Operations Manager.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for the safe and economic planning of movement of trains on the depots so that performance, contractual and budget requirements are met. As an ambassador of the company’s brand, you will be representing the depot and engineering function in improving the provision of trains to destination through stakeholder initiatives and joint site operational responsibilities.
You will be leading and managing the Operations Staff, supporting them through individual performance by developing the training and assessment programme and ensuring that the provision and competence of depot drivers matches the depot requirements.
Role and Responsibilities
- Ensure vehicle movements are performed in a safe and effective manner in accordance with all Company rules and regulations, Health and Safety policies and Railway group standards.
- Ensure that the depot track, points and signalling equipment is maintained to an adequate standard and any staff concerns are addressed through the track maintainer.
- Ensure Operations staff maintains effective and documented competence levels through the development of training plans, regular monitoring and audit.
- Ensure all operational procedures are up to date, valid, controlled and adhered to by all staff.
- Ensure that all staff and external contractors working on vehicles or the depot railway infrastructure are controlled and carry out their work in a safe manner.
- Work closely with depot driver manager developing task competence and ensuring that shift by shift supervision is maintained
- Carry out team and safety briefs as and when required. Participate in performance appraisal process in support of business strategy and budget targets
- Monitor and control absence, disciplinary, training, PPE requirements and adherence to D & A policy. Ensure all staff carry out their duties in a safe and efficient manner
- Support the company in the effective, efficient and safe management of the depot, including all SQE processes. Generate communications relating to operational issues to the depot where appropriate
- Ensure all production staff involved in vehicle operations and maintenance are trained in the necessary protection and movement procedures and are competent and compliant.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to bring together a team of people, motivating and encouraging better workplace relations. Based in a busy depot, you will need to have previously managed a workforce and be able to recognise key health and safety features in a depot environment.
It is imperative that the successful individual will be proactive and a strong communicator in ensuring feedback and comments are taken in to drive improvement and changes in a modernising depot. You should have the passion and drive want to instigate and follow through with operational changes to benefit the company and your colleagues, to create a more effective working environment.
- Strong man-management skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to foster a good team spirit
- Computer literate and familiar with Microsoft Office suite of application
- At least two years’ experience in either a supervisory or a managerial role with a proven track record of success
- 2 years direct operational experience supported by formal training (operational rules and regulations).
- A sound technical knowledge of depot train operations.
- Familiar with negotiating processes with internal staff and external contractors.
- Knowledge of company procedures supporting HR, Safety, Quality and Operations
- Industry experience of safe operating methods and techniques.
- A1 / A2 competency assessor qualification in operational rules and regulations (or the necessary underpinning knowledge to successfully achieve A1 / A2) (preferred)
Likely Job Titles
Production Manager, Manufacturing Manager, Depot Operations Controller, Maintenance Team Leader
- £35,000 - £45,000