Principle Hardware Engineer - Tool Support (Edinburgh)
£40 - £50 per hour
Are you a Principal Hardware Engineer, with at least 4 years’ experience in delivering centrally agreed tools and processes, who is either interested in getting into contracting or is looking for a new contract?
Ford & Stanley Interim are working with one of the UK’s most interesting engineering services business who offer contractors long term security across multiple clients and industries, providing variety, ongoing professional relationships and engineering challenges.
- The Electronics Engineering discipline at our client in Edinburgh requires a Principal Hardware Engineer to provide support for electronics’ tools and their infrastructure (Linux servers).
- With a business model that is going to challenge traditional UK Engineering consultancies, my client offers engineering support to its customers which places priority on having local based experts who can represent their organisation in a positive way, ensuring that their integrity and capability is always held in high regard.
- This particular contract is going to be an initial 6-month contract working in the Defence sector and is highly likely to roll over for a minimum 12-month period but should extend beyond that.
Key responsibilities include
- You will be part of the Edinburgh Electronics Engineering team which delivers centrally agreed tools and processes. The Primary focus will be to provide support for the Linux servers and Firmware, Hardware and PCB Design tools. This will include;
- Setting up user groups and project areas,
- Installing vendor tools,
- Working with vendors to analyse and debug tools,
- Providing pro-active support,
- Specifying server architect and,
- Contributing to cross-site working groups.
It is desirable that you have experience with at least one of these tools:
- FGPA Vendor tools (Intel (Altera), Microsemi (Actel), Xilinx)
- Mentor Firmware tools (HDS, Precision, Questa)
- Mentor Xpedition Enterprise tool suite for Schematic Capture and PCB Layout
- Mentor Hyperlynx Signal or Power Integrity tools
Skills & Knowledge
You will be expected to have experience of the following:
- Linux operating system admin knowledge
- Installing and configuring engineering applications
- Providing server and tool support to engineers
- Interfacing with the internal IT function
- Contributing to the improvement of cross-site common processes
- Version control and configuration management tools
- Writing in one or more scripting languages
- Preparing and deliver presentations and user guides
- Keeping up to date with new tools and techniques