Senior Sonar Systems Engineer
£65,000 - 70,000 per annum plus benefits package
(Note: there will be occasional all expenses paid travel to client sites in the UK, assisting in the development of detailed technical proposals as well as providing technical consultation on future technological trends to consistently evolve business offerings).
Are you looking for the opportunity to progress into managerial positions within a short time frame whilst playing a pivotal role in future company growth as you establish yourself as a technical expert?
Ford & Stanley – The Digital Recruitment Experts are recruiting a Senior Sonar Systems Engineer for an industry leading independent defence contractor that provide communication systems to the defence and maritime sector across all platforms (sea, land and air).
Having recently undergone expansion they are now looking for an additional Senior Sonar Systems Engineer to oversee and manage the development of new product lines from conception through to on-site delivery. In this role you will be undertaking design projects through to manufacture optimising Sonar or Underwater Acoustics systems across a wide variety of MOD projects. You will also play a key role in managing and mentoring your own well-established technical division.
You will also play a key role in managing and mentoring your own well-established technical division.
Role and Responsibilities:
- To develop and evaluate algorithms for detection, classification and localisation of contacts using underwater acoustic sensors.
- Communication VLF and any other areas.
- Observe, predict scientific, engineering and technological trends to continually improve the business offering.
- Provide a research and development capacity by conducting the studies and producing technical papers and reports.
- Present and publish results and work
- Support the business development team in preparing technical proposals & solutions. Interact with hardware, software and firmware Engineering development teams to ensure that system designs achieve the operational performance requirements.
- Required to have an in-depth knowledge and experience in digital signal processing, signal processing with statistical methods, sonar array signal processing, numerical methods and simulation of physical processes and use of digital filters.
- Experience in complex system design, implementation, test and integration.
- Experience developing engineering-based computer models using high level programming languages such as MATLAB/Simulink.
- Expertise in algorithm development and front-end signal conditioning for analogue digitisation.
- Ability to present complex ideas to internal & external stakeholders at all levels.
- Willingness to work as part of a collaborative enterprise with other companies including short period of detached duty on-board or at sea when required.
- Innovative and creative thinking to solve complex technical problems.
- Analogue design and spice simulations
- Experience of transducer and sensor interfacing
- Participation in the full engineering system lifecycle from Requirement Capture, Design, Implementation, Test, Acceptance to Evaluation.
- Work as part of an Engineering Team coaching and mentoring less experienced engineers.
- Good interpersonal skills to liaise across Engineering Functions supporting system design meeting operation performance requirements.
- Previous experience in the field of underwater acoustics or similar.
- Communication Systems / VLF.
- Experience of electronic hardware, software or firmware design.
- Ability to work independently across site or as part of a multi-disciplined team.
- A knowledge of AI and machine learning would be advantageous
- UK National
- Ability to attain DV or SC UK security clearance
- Full driving license
- PhD/Degree level Physics, Math or related Engineering Degree with a strong mathematical background.
- Sonar, communication systems or mathematical modelling course (desirable) • Ability to travel on occasions within the UK & Internationally
- £45,000 +